P.E and Sports Premium Funding
Use the tab above called 'Sport Premium - funding and impact' to see how we have spent our Sport Premium money for the academic year 2017-18.
P.E and Sports Premium is a government funded payment aimed at improving and increasing the provision of PE in schools across the country.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer. This means that we should use the Primary PE and Sport Premium to:
- Develop or add to the PE and sport activities that our school already offers
- Build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Schools receive PE and sport premium funding based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6 (based on the January 2017 census). Each school will receive £16000 plus £10 per child between Year 1 and 6 and so we will receive £19,150 for 2017-18.
We believe PE is a hugely important part of the curriculum and we pride ourselves on offering children many opportunities to get involved in sport, both during and after school. This funding has enabled us to employ the services of outside agencies and specialist coaches to come into the school and provide High Quality PE and Sport sessions.
We have employed the services of a local company PASS Ltd (Physical Activity & Sports Specialists) and the coach working in St John’s is a fully qualified P.E teacher. We believe the expertise, drive and energy of the team from this company allows us to deliver a high quality P.E curriculum where the children are receiving excellent teaching. Through a series of observing the coach, team teaching and then being observed themselves, our teachers are receiving invaluable CPD which, in turn, enables them to become more confident in the delivery of the curriculum. This will ultimately impact the children through higher quality, sustainable PE teaching and ensure our offer to all children is fun, active and engaging.
Please click on the tab above called 'Sport Premium - funding and impact' to see how we have spent our Sport Premium money for the academic year 2017-18.
You can also click on the tab above called 'Curriculum Overview' to see which areas of the curriculum will be taught by specialist coaches this academic year alongside the class teacher. All classes in KS1 & 2 have the opportunity to work with our coach on both indoor and outdoor aspects of the curriculum